Thursday, May 29, 2008

I mighta got things twisted yesterday. Mariah and Obama aren't multis, but they aren't regular light-skinned. My boys the Hester brothers are regular light-skinned b/c even though they are Obama-colored, their parents and grands are black, just light-skinned. Mariah and Obama are multi-racial however, but not multi-cultural. Black parent+white parent= 2 races, 1 culture b/c white isn't a culture? Or is it?

Maybe being half-black/half-white does make you multi-cultural. Depends on your perspective. I mean, if one parent's black and the other's Irish, you're a multi. But if one parent's black and the other is "regular white," are you multi-cultural? Seriously. I know some white people whose parents and grandparents, maybe even great-grands were born in America. They know that there's some other nationality mixed in somewhere, b/c only Natives are indigenous to this land, but they just consider themselves white. Is white a culture? For better or worse, we know that there's such a thing as black culture in America, even if it does (erroneously) get substituted for "ghetto" or "hip-hop" culture. I would say something like soul food is a universal in the black community. Our ways of manipulating language to keep others at bay is also universal. But how about white culture? Does it exist? Does being white mean you don't have an inherent culture? Maybe the question is invalid and irrelevant because eventually, most of us choose which cultures we want to involve ourselves in anyway. Some blacks never eat soul food and use little slang. Some whites are immersed in hip-hop (that's a bit off topic though, b/c hip-hop has long become youth culture, instead of inner city culture, if you ask me). These are choices some folks have made.

But you know, maybe there is a "white culture." And since I'm not white, I wouldn't understand. Many people claim to be experts on these kinds of subjects. Though I do talk a lot of shit about this sort of thing, I know I'm no expert. In fact, I hate experts. I love humanity though, and I love understanding humans even more. So any perspective is appreciated, holla at me. Just remember that your views are opinions, and no matter how eloquently you can explain something, if I don't feel it, I don't feel it, and if I don't believe it, I probably have good reason! Peace!

2 comments:

The Barber Shop said...

Fuck yes there's a white culture. White American culture anyways. We experience it everyday. I couldn't pinpoint it until I left the country, however, and realized how much of that white culture was embedded in my own personal experience.

Unknown said...

Definitely is a white culture. Stuff White People Like attempts to get it to a science but I feel like one of your favorite shows (Curb) is largely about white culture and the humor of whiteness. Gentrifying is also a part of white culture.

Zing!