Monday, June 2, 2008

Eff The Golden Arches, How About The Golden Burger!

My dude Merc once said that cats are gonna start wearin’ platinum shirts. He meant it as a joke, but when it comes to the outrageous ways rich folk spend their dollars, a lot of truth is said. Ingest. This is the $175 gold hamburger. No really, it actually has gold on it. This is what The Gothmist had to say:

10 ounces of Kobe-raised beef crowned with a thick “lobe” of seared foie gras, 25 grams of shaved black truffles, and aged gruyere cheese. It comes enthroned on a brioche bun anointed with a homemade truffled mayonnaise and garnished with more shaved truffles. Oh, and gold leaf flakes from Japan, which has the yummiest gold.

Electrifying conclusion: With the way food prices are going up, I think that the folks behind the goldburger are just being visionary. That will be an average price soon if things continue like they’ve been going. Watch some of “Idiocracy” if you get a chance to see where unchecked ignorance can lead our society.

Is this for real?. If so, I think it's hella interesting. Aston Kutcher has a new show in the works where he plants fake stories about celebs to ‘punk’ the paparazzi as a way of gettin’ revenge for them being, well, paparazzi. I only found this out because I wanted to see what was up with this Diddy/Cameron Diaz rumor. It might be a put-on courtesy of Aston. Here’s a link:

www.celebitchy.com/9894/diddy_and_cameron_diaz_one_of_ashton_kutchers_planted_stories/

So yeah, the student I was telling y’all about now hates me. We had a great relationship, now she won’t talk to me, and said that I ruined her life. He mother had warrants, and all types of police and social service got involved. This kid has loads of potential; there’s a very good chance it won’t be realized. It’s sad, but it’s true. Oh yeah, she spread it all around the school that I got her a case, so now I’m a school-wide villain. I’m leavin’ the school for good in a week, and she is transferrin’ also, but I thought there was a chance that I could mentor her. Not happening. I told her that I picked the lesser of two evils – her getting hurt vs. the system getting’ all up in her business. She couldn’t care less about my philosophies. She said that she told me stuff in confidence, and I let her business out, leading to her unfortunate situation. I truly felt like I did the right thing, but I don’t feel as strongly as I did on Friday, and that wasn’t a strong feeling to begin with. Maybe I should’ve let them handle it. Will any good come of this, for her family? Who the hell knows. Movin’ the fuck on…

I would understand if a newcomer to MMA said, “Screw this, I’m never watching this crap again,” after viewing that debacle on CBS Saturday night. I don’t know that much about the sport, but I do know what’s entertaining, and the finish to the Lawler-Smith fight wasn’t entertaining. I didn’t say that the fight shouldn’t have been stopped. I’m just talkin’ from the perspective of someone wishing to be entertained. That eye-poke probably warranted a stoppage, but that’s not what I, and many others, perceived. Plus, dude was ready to keep goin’. The Kimbo fight? Wow. First of all, it looked like he might have tapped at one point. Second of all, I don’t think he was gonna win. Third, if they were gonna call it b/c he hit that inflated ear, they should’ve called it from jump b/c it was obviously only a matter of time before Kimbo opened that bitch up. I think that the ear was a convenient excuse to stop the fight before Kimbo lost, which would have greatly decreased his mystique, thus his drawing power. I’m sure Kimbo could demolish me with very minimal effort, and take a peaceful nap afterwards, but I’m also sure that a good MMA fighter, not a great one, could take him apart at this point. Then again, I don’t know, I heard that he beat Tank Abbot. I only know Tank from wrestling, where he had the gimmick of being some hard-punching shoot-fighter; does it mean anything that he beat Tank Abbot? Holla at me if you’re more informed than I am.

Electrifying conclusion: I’ll still watch another Kimbo fight if it’s on CBS. I don’t really watch to see him win. I watch to see him do damage. Remember that in MMA, fighters do lose; even top fighters will have a record like 17-5. So I’ll keep watching. As long as there’s damage to be done. And Kimbo isn’t the only beast out there. Rampage got me into the sport. He’s worth watching, peep this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpWTHDox4Y

R.I.P. to the great Bo Diddley, one of those artists who, along with Ike Turner and Little Richard, has a genuine claim to founding rock and roll. This is what the AP said:

In the early 1950s, Diddley said, disc jockeys called his type of music, "Jungle Music." It was Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed who is credited with inventing the term "rock 'n' roll."
Diddley said Freed was talking about him, when he introduced him, saying, "Here is a man with an original sound, who is going to rock and roll you right out of your seat."
Diddley was also one of the pioneers of the electric guitar, adding reverb and tremelo effects. He even rigged some of his guitars himself.
Diddley's influence was felt on both sides of the Atlantic. Buddy Holly borrowed the bomp ba-bomp bomp, bomp bomp rhythm for his song "Not Fade Away."
The
Rolling Stones' bluesy remake of that Holly song gave them their first chart single in the United States, in 1964. The following year, another British band, the Yardbirds, had a Top 20 hit in the U.S. with their version of "I'm a Man."
Many other artists, including the Who,
Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello copied aspects of Diddley's style.
Growing up, Diddley said he had no musical idols, and he wasn't entirely pleased that others drew on his innovations.

Electrifying conclusion: I like the way this cat spoke.
This is what he had to say about the copycats:

"I don't like to copy anybody. Everybody tries to do what I do, update it," he said. "I don't have any idols I copied after."
"They copied everything I did, upgraded it, messed it up. It seems to me that nobody can come up with their own thing, they have to put a little bit of Bo Diddley there," he said.
On not getting paid what he was worth:

"I am owed. I've never got paid," he said. "A dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machine gun."

Bo knows truth.
  • The MTV Movie Awards sucked. I hate when someone tries to hard to be cool, or live up to the image they feel people have of them. That went on the whole night. A night of trying to create moments. Is Mike Myers gonna live off of the “Austin Powers” movies forever? Yup.
  • Robert Downey Jr. just jumped ahead of Brett Farve (but still behind Johnny Depp and Tom Brady) on the folks-white-people-idolize list. He can do no wrong. All the drugs and arrests and he’s treated like a god.
  • Go Mets.
  • “Sex and the City” cleaned up, didn’t it?! Tons of dudes were obviously forced into seeing it with their ladies. Not me! Mr. and Mrs. Power are waiting for that “The Wire” movie to come out.
  • I just might be buying a hooptie today.
  • I don’t care what anybody says, I aint gon’ count Clinton out ‘til this thing is totally over.
  • Can’t wait to get out there and perform my new music. I don’t see anyone doing anything like it at live hip-hop shows. I wouldn’t call it a completely original approach, but it is an evolution. An evolution for me, and for hip-hop. I really broke it down to beats, rhymes, and life – a universal sound anyone with rhythm can appreciate. It’ll just be an emcee, the mic, and his beats. A smooth current of rhymes inside a flood of rhythm. No wasted words, ideas, sounds, or motions. No posturing, no fakeness. If it doesn’t come off, I’m strictly to blame (and maybe the sound system ;) because I created this, and I’m solely responsible for delivering the music. I may have been building my whole music career towards this. Time to shine!
I’m StarPower, and I approve this message.

No comments: