Monday, June 9, 2008

Random Encounter Series Part 2

Yesterday I participated in an awesome event. Brooklyn's best up-and-coming artists/activists/entreprenuers were invited to participate in a recreation of "A Great Day In Harlem," the famous picture of all the jazz artists gathered on one stoop uptown. (Shut up about me being from Harlem/Wash. Heights, and about all of the members of my group who were present being from uptown, and me living in the Bronx; The Dugout is still pretty much Brooklyn-based b/c we got started in Brooklyn, most of our shows are in Brooklyn, and I've worked in Brooklyn for a while. I'm even typing this in Brooklyn.) "A Great Day In Brooklyn" was shot by the talented Jamel Shabazz in front of the Brooklyn Museum. It was very hot and very early, but very ill. I saw a bunch of folks I've come across performing here and there, and met a few new folks who I hope to come across again. I didn't expect to see a few well-known Brooklynites who came to support this historic event. While layin' in the cut like peroxide, trying to stay outta the sun, a brother pulls up in a chauffered Chrysler, jumps out and starts skateboarding. I thought it was a little odd, but just chalked it up to it being some Brooklyn-type shit. Turns out, it was Mos Def. As I entered the area where everyone was preparing for the photograph, I look around and see Jeru the Damaja, Charles Barron, Kevin Powell. Shit was bananas. A few minutes later I see Rock and Top Dog from the Boot Camp Click. I'm a fan of all of these folks. But one person in particular made me feel like a straight fanboy. I saw Devone Little, aka Omar from "The Wire." One of the most menacing men to ever get in front of a camera, he could not be more non-threatening in person. At least under the circumstances we were in. I'm sure the perfection to which he played Omar is based in some sort of real-life reference material. I gave him a pound, and he even smiled when I told him my name was StarPower. He didn't pull out a shotgun. He smiled. Gangsta.

2 comments:

kolks said...

Don't forget to mention the Great Ladies of DOPE SWAN who organized and sponsored the entire event. They were able to convince Mos Def, Jeru, Micheal K Williams, Charles Barron and Kevin Powell to get up at the crack of dawn for this historic event. Jamel Shabazz was down from day one and believed in their vision. Check the fresh Dope Swans out at www.dopeswan.org.

The Barber Shop said...

Dope Swan is definitely the real. The event was so beautiful from beginning to end. You saw a couple weary eyes in the crowd, but no complaints, and no egos. Watching Mos Def skateboard with a lil' one down Eastern Parkway was a classic memory.